With the passing of Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping officially in full swing, the season of giving is here.
The Tennessee Valley offers plenty of opportunities to help those in need this Christmas with time, money, food or toys.
If you have a Christmas charity or event scheduled, call 256-353-4612 or email email@example.com.
Volunteer Center of Morgan County — Decatur
- Can-a-thon: Schools, businesses, civic groups and individuals will bring cans and nonperishable items for collection Dec. 6 from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the Decatur Mall.
- Toys for Tots: Coordinated effort with the U.S. Marine Corp. Approved applicants will pick up toys Dec. 12. Local toy drop-off locations are Decatur Mall and Walgreens.
- Christmas Teen Assistance: Adopt a local teen for Christmas. This Volunteer Center program assists approved applicants in giving gifts to teenagers. Suggested items include shirts, pants, jackets, shoes, and toys or electronic-type gifts. All gifts need to be wrapped and brought to the Volunteer Center by Dec. 5, so they can be distributed Dec. 11-13. Call the Volunteer Center at 256-355-8628 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Holiday Hope Chests: An inter-agency effort to bring Christmas assistance to children. Shoeboxes are filled with small gifts. The Volunteer Center recruits volunteers from the community to donate and wrap shoeboxes filled with age-appropriate gifts. Bring shoeboxes to the Volunteer Center by Nov. 26. They will be distributed Dec. 10-13.
Neighborhood Christian Center — Decatur
- Christmas Toy Store: The center on Bank Street will be set up as a toy store Dec. 20-22. Each child in an approved family will get to select two new toys, two gently used toys, books, puzzles, stuffed animals and stocking stuffers. Additional registration days are set for Nov. 26 and Nov. 28. The center will be taking toy contributions through the middle of December.
- Christmas family sponsorship: Individuals, families, businesses and church groups are sponsoring Christmas for 65 approved families.
Limestone County District Attorney’s Office
Community Needs Drive: The office will be collecting canned goods for Limestone County churches involved; new blankets, warm hats and gloves for children and adults for the Limestone County Department of Human Resources; socks, books, coloring books and crayons, flashcards and other learning activities for children for the Limestone County Family Resource Center.
Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary
Shop With A Firefighter: Firefighters will accompany children from local schools and give them money to shop for clothes and toys for Christmas on Dec. 13 at 4:30 p.m. at Wal-Mart.
Limestone County Department of Human Resources
Christmas Wish List: A program for children and senior citizens in their care. Residents, groups and businesses receive a wish list from a child or senior. The department buys what it can on that wish list. Gifts are due Dec. 3.
United Way of Athens-Limestone County and U.S. Marines
Toys for Tots: Toys are collected and distributed to registered children.
Limestone County Churches Involved
Holiday food drives: Call 256-262-0671 for more information and to contribute.
Athens Police Department
- Christmas for Children: The Police Department and Walgreens are collecting toys for children in need. People can drop off toys at the U.S. 31 and Hobbs Street location of Walgreens.
- Christmas dinner: Behind the Badge, the Police Department’s support group, will be providing dinner for needy families. A date has not been set. Families are pre-selected.
Family And Children Experiencing Separation (Morgan County)
Adopt children for Christmas. Call 256-340-5859.
Mental Health Association of Morgan County
Adopt clients for Christmas. Call 256-353-1160.
Meals on Wheels
Christmas candy and sugar-free candy are needed for clients.
Boys and Girls Clubs of Decatur
Businesses are needed to adopt and fund a club Christmas party.
Mental Health Center of North Central Alabama
Adopt clients for Christmas. Call 256-350-1935.
Adopt teenage girls who are residents of the home for Christmas. Call 256-350-8434.
Lawrence County Baptist Association and Women’s Missionary Union
Adopt a family for Christmas. Call 256-974-8878.
Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department and Department of Human Resources
Drug-endangered Children’s Program: Adopt a child for Christmas. Call 256-974-2410.